I’ve been having some form of this for breakfast for many years. It’s so easy, fulfilling, inexpensive and nutritious (one serving counts for 3 of your 5 a day). It can be used as a base and customised to your taste and what’s in season at the moment. When I worked in an office I would make enough for 2-3 days at a time and just chop the fresh fruit to add each day.
Ingredients (per serving)
- 1 cup / 160g raw dry buckwheat
- 3 table spoons sesame seeds
- 1 table spoon of raisins / currents / any dried vine fruit
- Fresh fruit of choice – I used apple for the photo
- 1 tea spoon of honey (optional)
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Soak the buckwheat for 30 mins. Then drain and if possible sprout is by rinsing every 12 hours for 2-3 days until the buckwheat tails sprout as long as the seeds. If no time for this just soak for 30 mins and then rinse, drain and use.
- Grind the sesame seeds until they are all broken up.
- Finely slice the fruit of your choice, I usually use apple / pear / kiwi / banana / blueberry / strawberry but just pick what ever your have and like.
- Mix all together, sprinkle on cinnamon and enjoy.
- As the buckwheat is sprouted it needs to be put in the fridge if not eaten straight away. It will last for 2-3 days. You will be able to smell if it has gone off.
Read more on Buckwheat – Benefits and How to Use.For any comments/questions/help with this recipe post on the message boards.