Delicious slightly smoked cheddar style vegan cheese sauce. It uses sprouted sunflower seeds as the base so it’s high in protein and a great source of essential fatty acids. The bright colour comes from sweet potatoes, turmeric and smoked paprika.
Unlike many vegan cheese sauces this is totally free of nuts.Cashews work great, but they are very easy to overeat on them so I try to not put them into every recipe. Great for someone that as a nut allergy. The seeds are sprouted so that they start to open and grow (only slightly) so that they are much easier for your body to digest and absorb all the goodness.
Used here with buckwheat pasta to make a gluten free and vegan macaroni cheese. However it is very versatile and can be used in place of cheese sauce anywhere. I have it often with steamed cauliflower, in a Mediterranean vegetable lasagna or simply as a dip for crackers.
Sunflower Seed Cheese Sauce For Pasta Recipe
- Total time: 10m
- Yield: 4 portions
- Calories: 110 cal
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 200g / 1.5 cups sunflower seeds
- 250g / 1 large sweet potato
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tea spoon of turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
How to make
- Soak the sunflower seeds, at least for 10 mins but overnight is best, then drain.
- Peel and dice the sweet potato. Then simmer for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Place everything in the blender and whiz up until smooth. I usually use 2 tablespoons of paprika but put less in if you don’t like a strong smoked flavour.
- In the video I serve this with about 100g buckwheat pasta (dry weight), cherry tomatoes and chives.
Sunflower Seed Cheese Sauce For Pasta Video Recipe
For any comments/questions/help with this recipe post on the message boards.