This Coconut Panna Cotta is vegan as it uses coconut milk and vegetarian as the seaweed agar agar is used to set the mixture. Full fat coconut milk is used for a creamy vanilla panna cotta. If you don’t like coconut milk use any other plant based milk such as hemp, oat, almond or soy. Add two tablespoons of coconut oil if your not using coconut milk for a creamy dessert.
For the imagery on this page I used blackcurrants for the berry compote. These work well as have a sharp tart taste that is delicious with the smooth and creamy coconut. However any berry can be used for this such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or strawberries. You may need to adjust the amount of lemon juice and dates depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
I often serve this in a mixture old recycled jars of varying sizes and shape. It avoids any fiddly turning out onto a serving dish and looks very presentable. Also is great if you’re making it just for yourself as you have individual servings and will last for several days in the fridge.
Coconut Panna Cotta with Berry Compote Recipe
- Total time: 20m
- Yield: 4 portions
- Calories: 270 cal
For Panna Cotta
- Coconut milk, 1 can / 400ml – or any other milk
- Agar agar powder, 1 tbsp
- Vanilla, 1 tsp extract
- Maple syrup, 4 tbsp
For Berry Compote
- Blackcurrants / or any other berry, 1 cup (chopped if big like strawberries), 100g
- Dates, 1/2 cup / 80g
- Lemon juice, from 1 lemon
How to make
- Bring to the boil 1 cup / 250ml of water then stir in the agar agar.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir constantly for 5 minutes, making sure no agar agar gets stuck to the bottom.
- Take off the heat and add the coconut milk, vanilla and maple syrup. Wisk to insure all the coconut fat is melted.
- Pour into dishes, leave to cool then move to the fridge to set. It only needs to cool to set (30 minutes or so).
- Blend together the berries, dates, lemon juice with a few table spoons of water.
- Pour the berry compote over the top of the now set panna cottas.
- Its ready to eat or keep in the fridge where it will last several days.
The berry compote makes a great ice cream sauce.
Coconut Panna Cotta with Berry Compote Video Recipe
This recipe is not strictly raw as the agar agar is heated to set it, but most raw foodists would forgive this. Just swap the milk for a type of raw milk (cashew works very well) and allow the agar agar to cool a bit before adding and you will have a raw vanilla Panna Cotta.post on the message boards.