This healthy cookie dough’s main ingredient is butter beans. This give a velvety smooth and creamy taste while adding protein and fibre so it’s nutritionally superior to normal cookie dough. It is meant to be eaten as is or spread onto something and not baked.
Sweetness comes from apple sauce and maple syrup. We make our own pure apple sauce by peeling apples, dicing and then cooking on a very low heat with a dash of water for 10 mins. You can make it with just apple sauce for a less sweet dough or replace the maple with your favourite sweetener. Coconut nectar, coconut sugar or date syrup also make an excellent sweetener for this.
I like to use a very dark 85% cocoa content chocolate, but you can use your favourite. As its difficult to get good quality chocolate in chocolate chips I tend to slice block chocolate with a knife to make chocolate chunks. You could melt the chocolate of your choice and then drip onto a cool surface to make chocolate chips, but that’s not something I have the time or inclination for.
Healthy Cookie Dough with Chocolate Chunks Recipe
- Total time: 5m
- Yield: 8 servings
- Calories: 60 cal
- 1 can Butter beans
- 3 tbsp Peanut or almond butter
- 2 tbsp Ground oats
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Apple sauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/6 tsp Baking powder
- 1/6 tsp Sea salt
- 2 tbsp Chocolate chips / chunks
How To Make
- Add everything to a blender apart from the chocolate chunks.
- Blend until the dough is a smooth consistency. You may need to add a tbsp or two of your favourite milk if the blender struggles.
- Enjoy straight away or store covered in the fridge and eat within a couple of days.
Healthy Cookie Dough with Chocolate Chunks Video Recipe