A nourishing and filling buckwheat risotto that is a vibrant green from spirulina, peas, spinach and kale. Finished off with ground sesame to make it a protein rich and complete meal. You can use most greens in this recipe and is a great way to use greens that need eating.
Supergreen Buckwheat Risotto with Kale and Spirulina
- Total time: 30m
- Yield: 4 servings
- Calories: 160 cal
- 500g buckwheat
- 2 large onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 large carrots
- 250g / 1½ cups petit pois
- 300g / 1 cup tightly packed kale – ripped off stems
- 250g / 1 cup tightly packed spinach
- 2 tablespoons spirulina
- ground sesame, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to season
- Soak the buckwheat for 10 mins in water and drain.
- Finley slice the garlic and onion and soften for 5 mins. I do this with a little water but you can use oil if you prefer.
- Add the buckwheat to the pan with the onion and carrots finely diced.
- Cover with water the same volume of as the mixture, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the kale, peas and spinach and simmer for 5 more mins stirring occasionally.
- Take off the heat and stir in the spirulina.
- Serve with ground sesame seeds (about 2 tablespoons per person), smoked paprika and cold pressed oil.