Smoky red pepper BBQ relish that goes with almost anything savoury. There is no sugar or sweeteners added.
The sweetness from the red peppers and onion is more than enough.
Chia seeds are used to naturally thicken and give more nutrition to the sauce.
Perfect as a spicy, smoky and most importantly healthy alternative to ketchup.
Video Recipe of Chia and Red Pepper BBQ Relish
I usually put about 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in as I like it spicy, but for the recipe half is listed as not everyone likes it hot.
Do adjust to your tastes. It will last for two-three days chilled in the fridge.
No oil is needed when roasting – the veggies cook fine without it and it’s healthier.
You can garnish the chia and red pepper BBQ relish with a few slices of red onion. The vibrant red colour will liven up most dishes. I often have it as a dip for sweet potato wedges, a dressing for a green salad and in sandwiches that need some perking up.
- 2 red peppers
- 2 red onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- De-seed the red peppers and remove stems, don’t worry if a few seeds are left in.
- Chop up the onion and red peppers into large chunks. Peel the garlic.
- Roast these for about 20-25 minutes at 200°C until they are charred and cooked.
- Allow the veg to cool enough to touch. Then place the veg with everything in a blender and whiz up until all is combined.
- Taste to check the balance is right, you may need to add some more apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika or cayenne pepper.
- Serve immediately or chill and enjoy within 3 days.
Amount Per ServingCalories 28Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 62mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 1g