Easy to make dairy-free and healthy chocolate ice-cream without a machine. Creamy and dreamy just with heart healthy fats from nuts and seeds with no cows in sight.
Suitable for vegan, plant-based, paleo, sugar-free and general healthy diets. See the bottom of the page for variations on this basic recipe to make different flavours.
The best compliment I’ve had with this ice cream is that is tastes like normal (premium high-end) chocolate ice cream.
When a healthy dairy-free creation tastes like the original you really know it’s a job well done.
The simple things are often the best in life. With recipes this is often the case just as long as the ingredients are high quality.
Coconut Almond Chocolate Ice-Cream Video Recipe
Only use full-fat coconut milk to make this as the reduced fat will not set correctly.
The ice-cream does have a mild coconut taste but the cacao means it’s not too overpowering. I used raw cacao powder but use any cocoa/cacao powder you like – I would recommend using a high-quality one with a strong robust flavour profile.
I like this recipe as it doesn’t call for any plant-based milk. Instead ground almonds are used, this is the same as almond flour.
This gives a nice texture to the ice cream and adds protein and heart-healthy fats.
To make this ice cream nut-free just replace the ground almonds with coconut flour. Premade plant based milks often are very expensive for the low amount of nutrients so I tend to avoid them.
You can easily replace the cacao with other flavours to make different combinations:
- Maple syrup and pecans for pecan caramel
- Blended raspberries for a tasty raspberry ripple
- Banana and dates for a banoffee ice cream
The best thing with this healthy ice-cream is that it’s difficult to overeat. This could be because it isn’t loaded with sugar but is loaded with nutrition so a small amount keeps you satisfied.
With normal ice-cream I could eat the whole tub in a sitting and feel awful. With this I eat much less but feel good afterwards.
Coconut Almond Chocolate Ice Cream
No churn dairy free ice cream made from whole food ingredients including almonds, coconut and cacao.
This healthy ice cream is easy to make and tastes like high end chocolate ice cream.
- 1 Can (14oz / 400ml) full fat Coconut Milk
- 3 tbsp Cacao / Cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp Coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp Ground almonds
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Empty the coconut milk into a bowl, using all the cream and the water.
- Whisk for 2-3 mins with an eletronic whisk on high to incorporate as much air as possible. You can use a manual whisk but it will be quite time-consuming, about 10 mins and a good workout.
- Add in all the other ingredients and then whisk on low to incorporate. Scrape down the sides to ensure it’s all mixed.
- Test the mixture and adjust sweetness/bitterness to taste. I like it quite bitter so usually add less sweetener.
- Pour into a dish then freeze for 3-4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer when it’s frozen through, I use a toothpick to check this.
- Leave to stand for 20 mins at room temp before serving.
- Coconut almond chocolate ice cream will last several weeks in the freezer but will need to deforest a bit first and have a good stir if left in for longer than the 3-4 hours.
Links maybe affiliated, meaning I earn a commission from purchases but at no extra cost to yourself.
Amount Per ServingCalories 202Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 29mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 9gProtein 3g
2 thoughts on “Coconut Almond Chocolate Ice-Cream”
Could you Stevia instead of coconut sugar as I want to make it for as diabetic
Sure, the coconut sugar is just the sweetener 🙂