I always have the ingredients for this in my store cupboard ready to make this quick dish. It’s full of protein and complex carbohydrates with a mild spiced taste. Quinoa is great for vegan protein as it contains all essential amino acids and this is rare for plant based foods. It’s also low GI so is released slower and nutritionally superior to rice or pasta. Quinoa is naturally gluten free, although can contain traces if its been cross contaminated with other grains with gluten.
This recipe has a hefty amount of turmeric that gives it a golden glow. The heath benefits of turmeric are not yet fully understood but studies have linked it to many amazing claims such as helping fight cancer cells and improved brain function. I like to add it to as many dishes as possible, even if its just a pinch that isn’t tasted.
I use a pressure cooker for this as it then cooks in about 6 minutes but you can use a normal pan.
- 200g / 1 cup quinoa
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 table spoon of turmeric
- 1 tea spoon of cumin
- 1/2 tea spoon of cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Smoked paprika
- cold pressed oil
- seasoning to taste
- Place everything apart from the oil and paprika into your pan.
- Mix with water 2.5 times the volume of the other ingredients.
- Pressure cooker: bring up to pressure on the low setting and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Normal pan: bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and serve with a drizzle of cold pressed oil (like hemp or olive) and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
- Enjoy your curried quinoa within 3 days and keep in the fridge
Amount Per Serving Calories 210Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 0mgSodium 201mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 5g