Accidentally bought a can of butter beans thinking they were chickpeas. Only discovered this one day when I really fancied some hummus. Didn’t think with the thicker skins this would work, but fortunately it works very well. I use un-hulled sesame seeds for this as they are more nutritious and use them directly rather than adding tannin.
I don’t add any oil to the hummus while making it as its easy to add too much and makes washing up easier. Also by adding it at the end with the smoked paprika it turns eating the hummus into a work of art – with every scoop full bright red paprika oozes to the new depths. Enjoy with raw vegetable crudites, on bread or just as part as a spread.
Butter Bean Hummus
Hummus recipe that's made using butter bean for a twist and smoked paprika to add flavour. Can be made oil free if you prefer.
Naturally free of gluten and high in plant protein. Try this hummus recipe without chickpeas.
- 1 can of butter beans
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 clove of garlic, pealed
- 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds (unhulled are better)
- smoked paprika
- olive oil
- Add everything into the blender apart from the oil and paprika - put the sesame seeds closest to the blade as they take the longest.
- Blend with a touch of water until its smooth and no signs of whole sesame seeds.
- Add to a serving dish, sprinkle on paprika and splash on olive oil on top. I usually use about 1 tea spoon of paprika and 20ml olive oil - but adjust for your tastes.
- Enjoy butter bean hummus within 5 days and store in the fridge.
Amount Per ServingCalories 81Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 3mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 3g
Butter beans and lima beans are the same thing! Source