A nourishing and filling buckwheat risotto that is a vibrant green from spirulina, peas, spinach and kale. Finished off with ground sesame to make it a protein rich and complete meal. You can use most greens in this recipe and is a great way to use greens that need eating.
- 500g buckwheat
- 2 large onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 large carrots
- 250g / 1½ cups petit pois
- 300g / 1 cup tightly packed kale – ripped off stems
- 250g / 1 cup tightly packed spinach
- 2 tablespoons spirulina
- ground sesame, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to season
- Soak the buckwheat for 10 mins in water and drain.
- Finley slice the garlic and onion and soften for 5 mins. I do this with a little water but you can use oil if you prefer.
- Add the buckwheat to the pan with the onion and carrots finely diced.
- Cover with water the same volume of as the mixture, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the kale, peas and spinach and simmer for 5 more mins stirring occasionally.
- Take off the heat and stir in the spirulina.
- Serve with ground sesame seeds (about 2 tablespoons per person), smoked paprika and cold pressed oil.
Amount Per ServingCalories 373 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 346mg Carbohydrates 78g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 15g Sugar 12g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 19g