These 24 hour easy homemade pickles taste and look like shop bought ones but they are raw and much healthier. Simple and easy to make pickles. Just stir in ingredients for the pickling solution, slice the cucumbers and put in the pickling solution for 24 hours.
You can use normal cucumbers for this and they work great. For the pictures here I did happen to use snack cucumbers, these are just little cucumbers.
These easy homemade pickles are often called refrigerator pickles as they are still more of a fresh food. You get the nutrition of the fresh food but they taste just like long life pickles. This pickles recipe is no added sugar.
The original pickles recipe is for homemade sweet pickles with dill and herbs but you can add some chilli or more spice to make spicy pickles. Like so many of my recipes this is a base example to add things you like to it.
24 Hour Pickled Gherkins Video Recipe
Pickled gherkins go so well with many dishes (on salad or with falafel are my faves) but the shop bought ones are high in sugar, salt and preservatives. These do have some salt, but it’s much lower as these gherkins last weeks not years.
Many recipes call to boil the apple cider vinegar however I wasn’t keen on this as it destroys much of the goodness. This is important to sterilise if you are planning on preserving for months / years at an ambient temperature.
I would rather have heather pickled gherkins that have a shelf life of a few weeks so created this recipe. So these homemade pickles must be stored in the fridge after the 24 hour pickling and consumed within a couple of weeks.
Don’t bin your pickle juice for this, it’s great to use on salad dressings or as the base for dips like my Brazil Nut Mayo.
24 Hour Pickled Gherkins Recipe
- Cucumber, mini or normal
- Water, 200ml boiled and cooled
- Apple cider vinegar, 4 tbsp
- Salt, 1 tbsp
- Peppercorns, 1 tbsp
- Cumin, 1 tbsp
- Dried herbs, 1 tbsp
How to make
- Mix everything for the solution and stir until all of the salt is dissolved.
- Slice the cucumbers to about 0.5-1 cm thick pieces.
- Add the cucumbers to the solution.
- Ensure that the liquid covers them all. If not make a bit more solution to cover them, but scale it to the amount you need.
- Leave for 24 hours without a lid (cover with muslin if you’re worried about flies) at room temp.
- After 24 hours they are pickled and ready to eat.
- Put on a lid and store in the fridge where they will last several weeks.
You can replace the peppercorns, cumin and dried herbs with other spices and dried herbs if you prefer.