This Cheesy Vegan BBQ Popcorn is easy to make and has a cheesy nutty taste from nutritional yeast and a smoky BBQ flavour from smoked paprika.
I’m using popcorn cooked in steamed coconut oil (suitable for cooking) but you can use air popped popcorn if you prefer – the downside is the seasoning doesn’t stick to the corn.
Suitable for vegan, dairy free, gluten free and plant based diets.
Nutritional yeast is high in B vitamins, certain brands have added B12.
Most western diets, vegan or not, are low in B12 and could benefit from supplementation and B12 nutritional yeast is a delicious way to get your RDA.
Nutritional yeast may look like fish food and have an unfortunate name but nutritional yeast is a must have ingredient for a healthy cook.
- 25g Popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil, use steamed or other coconut oil that’s suitable for cooking
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic salt
- Melt the coconut oil in a heavy bottomed pan on a high heat.
- Add a few kernels and when they start to pop remove from the heat and then add all of the kernels.
- Wait 30 seconds and then return to the heat with the lid on to start popping.
- When the pops are 1-2 seconds between remove from the heat and put the lid ajar to let out the steam.
- Sprinkle on the nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, salt and garlic salt.
- Eat while the vegan cheesy popcorn fresh as it will go chewy if left for more than a few hours.
You can make using an air blowing popcorn machine to make oil free popcorn.
Amount Per ServingCalories 231 Total Fat 19g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 2058mg Carbohydrates 12g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 5g Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 5g
Popcorn is actually healthy for you as it’s a wholefood ingredient that contains a surprising amount of antioxidants.