This Cheesy Vegan BBQ Popcorn is easy to make and has a cheesy nutty taste from nutritional yeast and a smoky BBQ flavour from smoked paprika. I’m using popcorn cooked in steamed coconut oil (suitable for cooking) but you can use air popped popcorn if you prefer – the downside is the seasoning doesn’t stick to the corn. Suitable for vegan, dairy free, gluten free and plant based diets.
Nutritional yeast is high in B vitamins, certain brands have added B12. Most western diets, vegan or not, are low in B12 and could benefit from supplementation and B12 nutritional yeast is a delicious way to get your RDA. It may look like fish food and have an unfortunate name but nutritional yeast is a must have ingredient for a healthy cook.
Cheesy Vegan BBQ Popcorn Recipe
- Total time: 10m
- Yield: 2 servings
- Calories: 130 cal
- 25g Popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil, use steamed or other coconut oil that’s suitable for cooking
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic salt
- Melt the coconut oil in a heavy bottomed pan on a high heat.
- Add a few kernels and when they start to pop remove from the heat and then add all of the kernels.
- Wait 30 seconds and then return to the heat with the lid on to start popping.
- When the pops are 1-2 seconds between remove from the heat and put the lid ajar to let out the steam.
- Sprinkle on the nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, salt and garlic salt.
- Eat while it’s fresh as it will go chewy if left for more than a few hours.
Cheesy Vegan BBQ Popcorn Video Recipe
- I use steamed coconut oil to make this as it has a high smoke point so is suitable for healthy cooking.
- I recommend using a cooking coconut oil or other oil with a high smoke point to make this healthy dish.
- Other oils with a high smoke point are avocado oil, rice bran oil, macadamia nut oil – all are over 250 °C / 480 °F
- Use an unrefined salt that is high in minerals such as sea salt, pink Himalayan salt or rock salt.
To be honest, anything will taste good with these seasonings – garlic, salt, nutritional yeast and smoked paprika. I could add to most savoury dishes! But they do work particularly well with fresh crispy popcorn. If you’re following an oil-free diet it’s worth investing in an air popcorn machine. They are like a hairdryer only with a hole for popping corn and are great fun to use – but a tad messy.
Connect with Nest and Glow!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe!