This is a dip I go in and out of phases of consuming in vast quantities. After something very active I often have a fruit based dish (like my Green Sorbet Smoothie) let that digest for half an hour then have this protein rich dip on a cracker or bread. This is inspired by five bean salad, for times when I want something that could be portable and easy to eat with out any utensils. Even if its just for one you can make this 6 serving recipe and it keeps for days in the fridge. Great to pop in a lunchbox with a packet of crunchy seeded oatcakes for a tasty and fulfilling meal.
Ingredients (6 servings)
- Can of Red Kidney Beans, in water
- Can of Black Eye Beans, in water
- Can of Borlotti Beans, in water
- Can of Cannellini Beans, in water
- Can of Butter Beans, in water
- 150g tomato puree
- half a medium red onion
- 150ml apple cider vinegar, unpasteurised with the mother if possible
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- Finely dice the red onion and put in a dish with the cider vinegar
- Empty and drain all the beans, then mash using a potato masher.
- This will take a few mins, but your not looking for a smooth constancy, just mashed enough that everything is combined and can be spead. Chunks of beans are very welcome.
- Stir in the tomato puree, vinegar onions and cayenne. I usually use one table spoon for a spicy dip, but adjust to your preference. 1 tea spoon for a mild dip.
- Serve immediately or can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.