This a mildly spiced healthy tomato sauce for pasta with lots of health giving ingredients such as turmeric, cayenne pepper, seaweed, cumin seeds. It is not yet understood why so many of these foods are good for us, there is significant research to isolate beneficial compounds in turmeric for instance. But while this is all going on we can enjoy them in their natural form.
I always have all the ingredients for this on hand and it goes great with any rice or pasta. The photo shows this Health Giving Tomato Sauce with buckwheat pasta – a great natural gluten free choice. No fat is cooked with here, but some olive oil is added at the end to help with absorption. Make this healthy tomato sauce from scratch using 1kg of fresh tomatoes.
- 700ml jar of passata / or two 400ml cans of tomatoes
- 3 medium red onions (you can use 2 white instead, but I prefer red as they have more antioxidant compounds)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tea spoon of cumin seed
- 1/2 tea spoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tea spoon of turmeric
- 2 table spoons of sea vegetables (I use a blend of dulse, sea lettuce and nori)
- Olive oil & cracked black pepper to serve
- 4 hand fulls of diced Mediterranean vegetables (any you like such as aubergine, peppers, courgette)
- Slice the onion and garlic then cook gently in a small amount of water for 5 mins until softened. Add more water when the pan becomes dry.
- Pour in the tomatoes bring to a simmer, then stir in the spices and seaweed
- Add all the Mediterranean vegetables, cover and cook for 8-10 mins until the vegetables are all cooked. Stir occasionally to prevent it catching.
Amount Per ServingCalories 128Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 29mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 6gSugar 9gProtein 4g
Lots of the goodness needs some fat to be absorbed, for this reason I recommend serving with cracked black pepper and/or a dash of cold pressed olive oil on top.