Heart healthy cashew cream eggs with no dairy or refined sugar in sight. These are much easier than they look to make and taste better than the original Cadbury’s cream eggs. Plus they have the benefit of making you feel good when you eat them. As they are bursting with nutrition, healthy fats and protein it’s much harder to overeat on them. Just one-half egg is often enough to satisfy the need for a sweet snack. Suitable for vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, sugar free, natural and healthy diets.
Adjust the amount of chocolate for your moulds, I have quite large ones. I tried making full eggs using the moulds but they were difficult and messy to eat and to make. It works much better making half eggs and as they are quite rich, just half an egg is enough. You can wrap them in foil to make one full egg.
Cashew Cream Egg Recipe
- Total time: 30m
- Yield: 6-18 eggs depending on mould size
- Calories: 235 cal, based on an egg the size of a cream egg
- 4.4 oz / 125 g chocolate
- 1.5 cups / 200 g cashews
- 2-6 tbsp maple or coconut or any syrup, use a light coloured sweetener to keep the eggs white
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml coconut oil
- 2-4 tbsp water, just enough for blending
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- Chop the chocolate up.
- Melt 3/4 using a double boiler, remove from the heat and then add the last 1/4. This is an easy way to temper the chocolate.
- Pour 75% of the chocolate into your mould and then tilt as it drys to try to make an even coating of chocolate. Keep the remaining chocolate warm to stay liquid.
- Blend all the other ingredients together (except the turmeric) until smooth. Use a small blender jug and shake while blending.
- Add a few more tablespoons of water if it’s too thick to blend.
- Mix a few tablespoons of the cashew cream with a pinch of turmeric to make the yellow yolk.
- Spoon in the cashew cream and then blob on the turmeric yolk.
- Place back in the freezer for 5 mins.
- Pour the remaining melted chocolate and tilt to cover.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy within a week.
Cashew Cream Egg Video Recipe
- Use dark chocolate to make sure they are vegan, I like a 85% in this recipe.
- Make nut free by using sunflower seeds instead of cashews.
- For me just 2 tbsp of coconut sugar was enough to sweeten this for me as the cashews add sweetness, but adjust for your tastes.
- You don’t taste the turmeric, but it certainly adds colour and nutrition.
- Use a raw chocolate mixture or raw chocolate bar to make this recipe raw vegan.
It takes about 10 mins for the chocolate to stop being runny in the mould. I find it therapeutic rolling it around the mould making the shell slowly thicker and watching the blob of chocolate stop moving. It’s something to be done when you have time on your side.For any comments/questions/help with this recipe post on the message boards.