Living in Madrid one Christmas I got quite addicted to these wheels of figs, almonds and cinnamon. Inspired by them I’ve created these energy balls. The original had 70% figs and 30% almonds and I’ve adjusted the quantities to be 50/50 making them less sweet with more healthy fat.
They are quick to make and transport easily making them a great snack for active days out when you need a sugar, fat and protein hit. They will keep for weeks in the fridge. The video makes them look a bit messy, but they really aren’t. There is something nice and satisfying about using your hands to mix and shape. I tend to make 10 large balls; they aren’t quite bite size but it saves time on the balling and tend to keep their shape better at this size after a day of being jostled about in a rucksack.
Ingredients (10 large balls)
- 200g walnuts
- 200g dried figs
- 5 tablespoons desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 heaped tablespoon of cinnamon (although I love cinnamon so often use 2)
- Grind the walnuts
- Remove all the fig stems, coarsely chop and then blend
- Add cinnamon and coconut and blend the mixture again
- Empty mixture into a bowl and mix with hands
- Shape into balls and enjoy now or pack away to enjoy on the go