These Tex-Mex Loaded Sweet Potato Skins are a real crowd-pleaser. A delicious complete meal full of protein and carbohydrates that is easy to make. It takes over an hour to do this recipe, but 90% of this is the oven baking the potatoes while you sit back and relax. Very little prep work is needed for this simple recipe.
They are dairy free and are topped with cubes of avocado and cilantro / coriander. The perfect mix of spice from chilli peppers, sourness from fresh lime and sweetness from the sweet potatoes. A serving of this dish will provide you with 3 of your daily portions of fruit / vegetables.
Pick a fresh chilli that suits how spicy you like it. I often use a normal chilli, but de-seed it to reduce the spice and make it a medium heat. I recommend to use frozen sweetcorn for this recipe. Just measure out the sweetcorn after you put the sweet potatoes in the oven and by the time you need them they will be thawed and ready.
Tex-Mex Loaded Sweet Potato Skins Recipe
- Total time: 1h 10m
- Yield: 4 portions of 3 skins
- Calories: 210 cal
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup / 200g black turtle beans
- 1 cup / 160g sweetcorn, precooked
- 1 chilli, de-seeded
- slice of onion
- 1 cup / 150g cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch of coriander / cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 lime
- 2 avocados
How to make
- Cut the ends off each sweet potato and then cut into half.
- Place skin side down on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about an hour at 400°F / 200°C until soft.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few mins.
- Scoope out the insides of the sweet potatoes, being careful to not rip through the skin.
- Put the sweet potato skins back in the oven at 200°F / 100°C to crisp up, but not burn, while you make the filling.
- Mix together the sweet potato flesh with the black beans, sweet corn, sliced chilli, quartered cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped coriander / cilantro, minced garlic and the juice of the limes.
- Take the skins out of the oven and pile on on the filling as high as you can.
- Top with cubes of avocado and enjoy!