These healthy slices are easy to make and full of nutrition. It’s like a cross between healthy fudge and real fruit jelly. They are free of oil, refined sugar and gluten. Suitable for vegan, celiac and paleo diets.
Creamy almond butter cut with a tangy fresh strawberry jam makes these slices incredibly morish. The best thing about these healthy slices is you will often feel full and content after a few as they are high in fibre and made from whole unrefined ingredients.
Almond Butter Strawberry Jelly Slices Video
You can strain your strawberry jam if you like but I didn’t for the photos and video here as I’m all about simple and easy recipes. The seeds are full of good stuff so I prefer them in, but you will get a clearer jam if it’s strained.
The strawberries probably would set with their own natural pectin if you don’t have any agar agar and omitted the water. They wouldn’t be as firm but would still taste just as good. If you don’t have agar agar then you can use pectin.
This strawberry dessert is a good use of strawberries near the end of the season that aren’t as sweet. I added 2 tablespoons of maple syrup for extra sweetness but this is totally optional.
These slices may look hard but really they are very simple and foolproof. The hardest part of the whole recipe is slicing them up. You may notice from the video my slicing was a bit rough and unequal, but they still looked and tasted great!
This recipe is 50% raw if you follow the recipe for a sprouted almond butter and make your own almond butter.
Have you tried making your own almond butter? It’s a fun recipe to make if you have the time and don’t mind a bit of mess. It also makes almond butter very affordable. Almond butter recipe.
ALMOND BUTTER FUDGE BASE
- 1 cup / 250g Almond Butter
- 2 cups / 120g shredded Coconut
- 3 tbsp Coconut sugar, or another sweetener like maple syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- pinch of Salt, optional
- 2 cups / 300g Strawberries, halved
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Sweetener, like date syrup / maple / coconut
- 1 tsp Agar Agar, heaped
- ½ cup / 120ml Water
- Place all the almond nut fudge ingredients into a food processor and blend until they are broken up and combined.
- Spread the almond / nut mixture onto a lined pan about 8″ squared and press down firmly.
- Place all of the vegan strawberry jelly ingredients into a pan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 3 minutes stirring constantly making the shape of 8 and 0 to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Take the strawberry agar agar jam off the heat for 2 minutes and mash any large bits of strawberry still there.
- Pour the jam on the base and chill for half an hour to set.
- Enjoy the strawberry jelly almond butter slice within 3 days and keep stored in the fridge.
- You can use any nut or seed butter to make these and it will work just as well. For a nut-free diet, I recommend sunflower seed butter.
- If you don’t have any nut butter you can just use whole nuts or seeds but it will take a bit longer to blend together.
- I’m using coconut sugar but any sweetener liquid or powder will work, I often use Maple syrup.
- The salt is optional for the almond butter base. If the almond butter you are using has added salt then you might want to not add any.
Links maybe affiliated, meaning I earn a commission from purchases but at no extra cost to yourself.
Amount Per Serving Calories 80Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 46mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 2gSugar 9gProtein 1g
This almond butter jelly slicecould be made nut free by using sunflower seed butter. It’s difficult to source sun seed butter but can be made yourself easily enough at home. See my recipes for healthy cookie butter and just follow the first part for sunflower seed butter.
I’ve made this recipe with blueberries, blackcurrants, raspberries, oranges and gooseberries. They all worked great although in some the seeds were a little too big and affected the texture.
Chocolate Jaffa Slice
A great adaptation to this recipe is to use oranges for the jelly and add some cacao to the base. This gives a chocolate almond butter base and orange jelly so similar to a jaffa cake! Free of all refined flour, sugar, harmful oils and healthy of course.