Delicious slightly smoked cheddar style vegan cheese sauce.
It uses sprouted sunflower seeds as the base so it’s high in protein and a great source of essential fatty acids.
The bright colour of my dairy free cheese sauce comes from sweet potatoes, turmeric and smoked paprika.
Unlike many vegan cheese sauces this is totally free of nuts.
Cashews work great, but they are very easy to overeat on them so I try to not put them into every recipe.
This sunflower seed cheese sauce is great for someone that as a nut allergy. The seeds are sprouted so that they start to open and grow (only slightly) so that they are much easier for your body to digest and absorb all the goodness.
Used here with buckwheat pasta to make a gluten free and vegan macaroni cheese. However it is very versatile and can be used in place of cheese sauce anywhere. I have it often with steamed cauliflower, in a Mediterranean vegetable lasagna or simply as a dip for crackers.
Sunflower Seed Cheese Sauce For Pasta Video Recipe
- 200g / 1.5 cups sunflower seeds
- 250g / 1 large sweet potato
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tea spoon of turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
- Soak the sunflower seeds, at least for 10 mins but overnight is best, then drain.
- Peel and dice the sweet potato. Then simmer for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Place everything in the blender and whiz up until smooth. I usually use 2 tablespoons of paprika but put less in if you don’t like a strong smoked flavour.
- In the video I serve this vegan cheese sauce with about 100g buckwheat pasta (dry weight), cherry tomatoes and chives.
Amount Per ServingCalories 319Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 0mgSodium 2906mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 8gSugar 5gProtein 11g
Did you know there are about 2000 seeds in each sunflower?