Easy and tasty vegan french onion soup recipe that uses miso. I love french onion soup and I love miso soup and this hybrid of them is delicious but simple and easy to make.
This vegan french onion soup has a rich depth of flavour but is only made from three ingredients. My vegan french onion soup slow cooker recipe can be made in a pan if you don’t have a slow cooker
I used to make miso soup with all the traditional ingredients (dashi, kombu, white miso, black miso, mirin and katsuobushi) but these are expensive and difficult to pickup, let alone versions without additives.
So instead I make this version that I’m very happy with and my bank balance is far healthier.
This vegan french onion soup has no oil so is perfect for healthy plant based diets.
Vegan French Onion Miso Soup Video Recipe
This recipe does take a while to make as the onions are cooked in their own juices for an hour.
But it’s a great recipe for a day when you are in no rush and can stick it on the hob and get on with other tasks in the background.
Cooking onions for an hour is the secret to this delicious soup, they slowly caramelise giving a rich depth of flavour.
If you don’t have miso you can replace with stock, but I would recommend to try it with miso as it gives a unique umami flavour that is different from stock.
I like to top this with an oat cake and my own sunflower seed cheese (this is a simple vegan cheese recipe) but you can use any vegan cheese in its place. If you are avoiding soy you can get versions of miso made from fermented chickpeas.
- 6 medium onions. about 1kg
- 2 tbsp dark miso
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups / 500ml water
VEGAN ONION SOUP TOPPINGS
- Cut all the onions for the soup into thin slices.
- Place onions in a pan, cover with a lid and cook on a very low heat for an hour. Stir every 10-15 mins.
- Or place in a slow cooker for 1 hour on high.
- After an hour the onions should be caramelised and perfect for french onion soup. If not return to the heat for 10 min intervals until they are a light brown.
- Stir in the water, miso and balsamic vinegar. It should be warm enough to eat straight away, if not return to the heat and gently heat for a few mins. Heating destroys much of the goodness in the miso so don’t bring to a boil.
- Serve the french onion soup as it is or with some bread / oat cake covered in vegan cheese floating on the soup.
- Any left overs vegan onion soup will last for a few days in the fridge.
Amount Per ServingCalories 334Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 331mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 8gSugar 19gProtein 9g
I make this vegan french onion soup mix using brown onions, but you can use white onions if you prefer it to be a bit more pungent.