These winter rolls are the cousin of summer rolls but with autumnal and winter produce served with a raw spicy dip. A rainbow of winter fruit and vegetables with a fresh zesty sauce with plenty of fire from chilli, ginger and garlic. Try these healthy gluten free wraps.
Super easy to make spring rolls recipe and are a great starter or party food. You can use any vegetables that you have about, just try to get a rainbow of colours – for a mixture of vitamins and because they look very appetising.
The crunchy raw veggies and fruit are loaded with vitamins and minerals but this dish is very low calorie so only suitable for a snack or starter.
In the winter I like to have something like this in place of a salad as when its cold eating raw veggie can be unappealing, but this dish is very tempting in cold weather.
Winter Rolls with Raw Sweet Chilli Dip Video Recipe
You can often pick up wrappers in an Asian shop very inexpensively and they’re great to have to make healthy wraps filled with fresh produce.
The trick to easily using spring roll wrappers is only dip in warm water for a very short time. Take out before they become very soft. This is because they soften after being taken out of the water and too long in the water makes them very difficult to handle.
Most recipes use meat and fried rolls but my healthy spring rolls are totally vegan and bursting with good nutrition with nothing harmful.
These winter rolls are naturally free in gluten as they are wrapped in spring roll wrappers. These can be known as rice paper or Vietnamese wrappers.
- Rice paper spring roll wraps
EXAMPLES FOR FILLINGS
- Kale, stem removed
- Red cabbage, finely sliced
- Carrot, thin strips
- Bean sprouts
- Radish, thin slices
- Mint leaves
- Pomegranate seeds
RAW SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
- 4-6 pitted dates
- 1 clove Garlic
- half a chilli pepper, remove the seeds to make it mild
- half an inch of ginger, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Prepare all the winter roll fillings so that they are in small slices / strips that are suitable for the rolls.
- Dip a sheet of spring roll wrapper / rice paper in warm water for a few seconds.
- Place the rice paper down on a flat surface and then fill with your fruit and veggies. Don’t put too much in else it will spill out when rolling.
- Then roll up like a burrito – roll over the filling, wrap in the sides and continue to roll to the end. See the video recipe for a demo.
- Slice the winter roll in half and place on serving dish.
- Put all of the raw sweet chilli sauce ingredients into a blender and then blend until smooth.
- Enjoy your healthy gluten free winter rolls immediately or store in the fridge where they will last for a day or so.
Links maybe affiliated, meaning I earn a commission from purchases but at no extra cost to yourself.
Amount Per ServingCalories 113Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 5mgSodium 220mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 4g