This delicious roasted cauliflower cheese recipe is dairy free, gluten free and uses butter beans as a base. This means it’s high in both protein and fibre. A great comfort recipe that is low in carbs, low in fat and free of oil. If you want a creamer cheese sauce then you can add a few tbsp of a cold pressed oil.
The cauliflower is dry roasted to give a golden colour and a grilled taste. As no oil is used you need to keep a sharp eye on the oven when the cauliflower roasting so it’s taken out at exactly the right moment. If the cauliflower starts to burn this can give a bitter taste. You can steam the cauliflower if you prefer, but I think roasting it gives a better taste as it’s less watery. Whole sesame seeds are used to give a creamy sauce but they also add calcium and magnesium to this dairy free dish.
The sun-dried tomatoes add salt to the dish. If you don’t have any just replace with a pinch of salt. Serves 2 as a main or 6 as a side dish.
Roasted Cauliflower Cheese Recipe
- Total time: 30m
- Yield: 6 servings
- Calories: 65 cal
- 1 can Butter beans
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 4 Sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Chives
How to make
- Cut the stem off the cauliflower and break up into bite size florets.
- Place these on a non stick tray and bake at 200°C 400°F for about 20-25 mins until the cauliflower starts to go golden brown.
- Add the butter beans, sesame, garlic, turmeric, nutritional yeast sun-dried tomatoes and water to a blender and blend until smooth.
- You may want to adjust the water in the cheese sauce depending on how thick/runny you like it.
- Mix the roasted cauliflower with the cheese sauce and top with quartered cherry tomatoes and chives.
- This cheese sauce also makes a great vegan cheesy pasta.
Roasted Cauliflower Cheese Video Recipe