Raw vegan pumpkin pie cake that uses pumpkin or butternut squash with a blend of spices. Easily one of my favourite raw cakes these days as its quick and full of flavour.
This easy no bake pumpkin pie cake is suitable for gluten free, paleo and healthy diets. Like all Nest and Glow recipes is super easy – just blend, layer and chill to set.
The best thing about raw vegan desserts is they are easy and foolproof to make. No worrying about cooking enough or burning in the oven. The most difficult part is cutting serving this healthy cake.
No oil is used in this recipe instead coconut butter is used to set the topping. This is where coconut has been blended until it’s creamy but nothing is extracted so it’s very healthy as it retains all of the fibre. I’ve a recipe for coconut butter that has so many uses alongside a general replacement for coconut oil.
In the photo above you can see a block of coconut butter that I did purchase it for this recipe. If you are buying coconut butter choose a raw cold pressed brand. Your coconut butter should have a strong coconut smell to indicate that it hasn’t been bleached so is healthy and full of nutrition.
Raw Pumpkin Cake Pie Video Recipe
If you want to this raw pumpkin dessert recipe as a pie simply push the base into a pie case (individual or one big one). I usually have it as a cake as its the quickest and it all tastes the same.
Pumpkin cake may sound strange, to a Brit – less so to our friends across the pond. The flavour of the pumpkin really balances out well with the rest of the healthy cake.
In the video I use butternut squash as it’s the most wildly available squash (and called a pumpkin in many countries) however it tastes just as good with the traditional pumpkin when that is in season. Both pumpkin and butternut are squashes that belong in the same family and can be used interchangeably.
There is a pinch of turmeric in this raw pumpkin pie mainly for colouring but also to add a bright orange colour. You don’t taste it at all but it helps give a golden colour and the fats from the nuts help with curcumin absorption. It also ups the nutritional content (only slightly) as turmeric has many health benefits that are not yet fully understood.
This raw vegan cake can be made nut-free by using pumpkin seeds in the base and sunflower seeds in the topping. Always soak your seeds overnight to make them easier for the body to absorb.
The dates in the pumpkin pie can be replaced with any other dried fruit that you like – vine, apricots, cranberries. They are just there for sweetness and fibre. Always choose pure dried fruit that doesn’t have any preservatives or added sugar for the healthiest desserts.
Of course, this being a vegan recipe it’s also a no bake pumpkin pie without gelatin recipe.
Raw Pumpkin Pie Cake Recipe
- 150g / 1 cup Walnuts,
- 100g / 1 cup Dates
- 3 tbsp Coconut, desiccated
- 150g / 1 cup Cashews
- 2 tbsp Coconut sugar, any sweetener like maple / date syrup
- 2 tbsp Coconut butter – or coconut oil
- 4 tbsp Pumpkin/butternut squash, grated
- 1 tsp Ginger, diced
- 1 tsp Cinnamon,
- 1 tsp Turmeric,
- 1 tsb Vanilla, extract or half a bean
- Water, enough to blend
How to Make
- Pulse together all of the pumpkin pie base ingredients until they are all broken up and stick together.
- Either push the base into a dish or pie case depending on what shape you want this cake / pie in.
- Put the pie base in the fridge while you make the topping.
- Add all topping ingredients together and then whizz until smooth.
- You will need to add some water (about 3-4 tbsp) to let the blender to whizz the topping.
- Chill for half an hour and its ready to eat. Consume within a few days.
- You can put this pumpkin cake / pie in the freezer and take out an hour before to defrost and it will last months. It’s best to slice up before freezing so you can defrost a slice at a time.