These light, spongy and fluffy vegan waffles are gluten free as they are made from buckwheat. The buckwheat flour gives them a distinctive nutty and earthy taste that goes really well with fruit and dark chocolate. Here they are listed as a sweet recipe, but they are just as good savoury – leave out the sweetener and serve with avocado, onion and tomato for a great savoury waffle.
I couldn’t find a vegan buckwheat waffle recipe that worked so made this from experimenting with several other recipes that used eggs, butter and milk. Replacing the eggs with chia seeds, butter with coconut oil and the milk with cashews. I try not to use plant-based milk from a carton as often they aren’t that healthy and its so much cheaper to make your own.
Chia Buckwheat Waffles Recipe
- Total time: 20m
- Yield: 4 people
- Calories: 190 cal
- 1 cup / 220g buckwheat flour
- 1½ cups / 360 ml water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup / any sweetener
- a few chunks of dark chocolate
- Blend everything together until smooth. Best to blend for 20 seconds, leave to stand and blend again to break down the chia seeds.
- Pour into a silicon waffle tray, spread to the edges and then bake for 6-8 mins at 350F / 180 C until cooked.
- If you have a waffle iron you can use this instead.
- Leave to stand in the mould for 5 mins then take out and serve with melted dark chocolate, coconut yoghurt, berries or whatever you fancy.
- I’m using blended cashews and water rather than adding any plant based milk.
Chia Buckwheat Waffles Video Recipe
You can either use a waffle iron or a silicon mould. I used a silicon mould as but I’m sure a waffle iron would work even better. I didn’t have any problems taking mine out of a silicon mould and didn’t need to grease it. I did leave it to stand for 5 mins and cool as it’s gluten free it’s more susceptible to break without all that gluten glue to hold it together. If you follow an oil-free diet just leave out the coconut oil from this recipe.
Top with any fruit you like, I used thawed frozen raspberries. Just melted very dark 80% bitter chocolate I find goes well with these waffles. If you don’t like dark chocolate you can use maple syrup or any other type of syrup. I imagine the batter for this would make equally good pancakes if you don’t have any waffle moulds but there is something very appealing with the waffle shape.
For any comments/questions/help with this recipe post on the message boards.