Quick and easy chocolate caramel slice, AKA millionaire’s shortbread. It’s dairy and gluten free with a fruit and nut base, a cashew caramel middle and chocolate topping. This can be made in about 10 minutes.
You can use any chocolate you like for the topping. I usually use a very dark 85% cocoa solids chocolate. If you want to make your own raw chocolate topping mix together 1/3 cacao powder with 1/3 fat and 1/3 sweetener. You can use coconut oil or cacao butter for the fat. For the sweetener anything runny such as maple syrup, date syrup, coconut nectar or honey work well. All of these sweeteners also work well for the caramel and each give a slightly different taste. Let me know how you get on in the comments.
The figs in the base can be replaced by other dried fruit such as dates if you prefer. I like to use figs as the fig seeds when blended give a crispy texture that works well with the smooth caramel and sharp chocolate.
If you want to cut the chocolate caramel into clean sharp squares take it out of the fridge half an hour before cutting. As you can see from my photos I didn’t do this so most of the chocolate topping is roughly cracked, but that’s how I like it.
Chocolate Caramel Slice Recipe
- Total time: 10m
- Yield: 12 portions
- Calories: 160 cal
- Figs, 150g / 1 cup
- Walnuts, 150g / 1½ cups
- Cashews, 150g / 1 cup
- Creamed coconut / oil, 4 tbsp
- Maple syrup, 4 tbsp. Any runny sweetener would do but you may need to adjust the quantity by taste.
- Vanilla, 1 tsp extract or the seeds from ½ a pod
- Chocolate, 100g of your favourite. See intro for making a raw chocolate topping.
How to make
- Blend together the walnuts and figs until they are combined into a ball.
- Spread this out on a tray that’s about 10″ by 10″.
- Melt the creamed coconut / oil.
- Add this melted coconut with all the other caramel ingredients to a blender and whizz until a smooth caramel is formed. If it becomes too thick to blend just add some hot water, 1 tbsp at a time until you can blend it smooth.
- Melt the chocolate and spread over the top.
- Store in the fridge and it will last for 3-4 days in theory, but mine is always eaten way before then.
Chocolate Caramel Slice Video Recipe