This is a raw vegan pumpkin pie / cake that uses pumpkin or butternut squash. It’s easily one of my favourite raw cakes these days and like all Nest and Glow recipes is super easy – just blend and chill. If you want to eat it as a pie simply push the base into a pie case (individual or one big one). I usually have it as a cake as its the quickest and it all tastes the same. It may sound strange, to a Brit – less so to our friends across the pond, but the flavour of the pumpkin really balances out well with the rest of the cake.
In the video I use butternut squash as it’s the most wildly available squash (and called a pumpkin in many countries) however it tastes just as good with the traditional pumpkin when that is in season. There is a pinch of turmeric just for colouring. You don’t taste it at all but it helps give a golden colour. It also ups the nutritional content (only slightly) as turmeric has many health benefits that are not yet fully understood.
Raw Pumpkin Pie Cake Recipe
- Total time: 25m
- Yield: 16 portions
- Calories: 155 cal
For the base
- Walnuts, 150g / 1 cup
- Dates, 100g / 1 cup
- Coconut, desiccated 3 tbsp
For the topping
- Cashews, 150g / 1 cup
- Coconut sugar, 2 tbsp – or any other sweetener like maple / date syrup
- Creamed coconut, 2 tbsp – or coconut oil
- Pumpkin / butternut squash, 4 tbsp grated
- Ginger, 1 tsp diced
- Cinnamon, 1 tsp
- Turmeric, 1 tsp
- Vanilla, 1 tsb extract /powder or half a bean scraped
- Water, enough to allow the blender to do its job
How to make
- Pulse together all of the base ingredients until they are all broken up and stick together.
- Either push the base into a dish or pie case depending on what shape you want this cake / pie in.
- Put the base in the fridge while you make the topping.
- Add all topping ingredients together and then whizz until smooth.
- You will need to add some water (about 3-4 tbsp) to let the blender to whizz the topping.
- Chill for half an hour and its ready to eat. Consume within a few days.
- You can put this cake / pie in the freezer and take out an hour before to defrost and it will last months. It’s best to slice up before freezing so you can defrost a slice at a time.
Raw Pumpkin Pie Cake Video Recipe