This is an easy recipe for a raw vegan cheese made from sunflower seeds. A great vegan cheese that slices, grates and melts so you can use it in place of regular cheese in most recipes to make them plant based. Heart-healthy cheese that tastes great, is cheap to make and doesn’t take long so I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. It’s one of my staples that I often have a batch in the fridge.
I use fresh garlic and onion as these are widely available and have the most nutrients. You can replace with garlic and onion powder if you prefer, about tsp of each gives the same flavour.
In the recipe I usually double the amount of cayenne pepper as I like a bit of a kick. Also you may want to add half a tsp of salt into the recipe, I tend to just have the saltiness from the miso but some might find it a bit bland without it.
This vegan “cheese” uses sunflower seeds as the base. This means that it is significantly cheaper than using nuts such as macadamia or cashew. It’s actually raw as most sunflower seeds will sprout whereas most nuts will not. The agar agar is cooked in this recipe, but this is just the thickening agent and nutritionally void. The rest is raw and all the nutrients of the seeds and other ingredients are intact so I would still consider this a raw dish, but some purists raw foodists may disagree.
Vegan Sunflower Cheese Recipe
- Total time: 15m
- Yield: 6″ cheese block
- Calories: 80 cal per 1/10th serving
- 1 cup / 140 g Sunflower seeds
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 3 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 slice of Onion
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp Miso, white is best but don’t worry if you only have brown
- 1 tbsp Agar agar powder, a veggie alternative to gelatin
- 1½ cups / 360ml water
How to Make
- Soak the sunflower seeds in water for at least 10 mins, overnight is best if you have the time.
- In a pan mix together the agar agar with some water until dissolved. Then mix in 1 cup / 240 ml of water.
- Bring the agar agar mixture to a boil and simmer for 5 mins stirring constantly to prevent any sticking at the bottom.
- Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool for 5-10 mins and continue with the recipe.
- Drain and rinse the sunflower seeds.
- Place everything in a blender, apart from the agar agar mixture, with half a cup / 120 ml of water and blend until smooth.
- Whisk together the sunflower seed mixture and the agar agar until it’s all combined.
- Pour into a dish, about 6″ in diameter, and then place in the fridge for an hour to set.
- You may want to oil your dish, but I tend to use a shiny ceramic dish and the cheese comes out easy enough without any oil.
- Take out of the dish once set and enjoy this vegan cheese in place of normal cheese. It will last a few days in the fridge.
Vegan Sunflower Cheese Video Recipe